Thursday, May 26, 2011

What truly matters?

"Comparison is the thief of joy."

I come back to this quote on a somewhat regular basis. I find myself comparing my life, my belongings, my wedding, my home, to other people. My joy is taken in those moments of dissatisfaction, insecurity and frustration. Facebook has amplified this for me, and maybe some of you out there. With so much access to what others are doing and how they are living, I can flip through pictures and then start to cheapen my own life. I am thankful that God has really brought me through a period of comparison and given me satisfaction in Him, but I also find myself slipping back into it. I am reminded of this quote and the beauty that it states. I do not want to be robbed of my joy, for something as trivial as comparison. May I remember that there is SO much more to life than what we can see here. Life is about relationships, about making a difference in the lives of others, about being impacted by others and living for something bigger than myself. That is what brings joy. That is what matters.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Cathleen, this is something I need to be reminded of a *lot*. I agree with you about Facebook -- everyone makes their life sound so full & exciting. It's important to remember they're just posting sound bites from the real thing. I like your blog! You're inspiring me to get back to mine....

    ReplyDelete